Wednesday 13 April 2011

a fallen angel...a vampire princess...can their love be Eternal?

Eternal - Cynthia Leitich Smith

I am turning over a new leaf, after reading many fabulous blogs recently...I found my blog sucks a little! So I'm really ramming up the style and quality of the words I put down in this box...starting now! As you should have already seen...I did my first Meme, and thoroughly enjoyed it...so expect more to come, when I can find the time!!

Anyway onto the review.

CLASSIFIED ADS: WANTED Personal assistant to Her Royal Highness. Duties: Whatever is asked, without hesitation, including but not limited to secretarial / administrative, household, defence, blood donation, driving, companionship, prey disposal, and love slavery.
At last, Miranda is the life of the party: all she had to do was die. Elevated and adopted by none other than the reigning King of the Mantle of Dracul, Miranda goes from high school theatre wannabe to glamorous royal fiend overnight. Meanwhile, Zachary, her reckless and adoring guardian angel, demoted to human guise as the princess' personal assistant, must try to save his girl’s soul before all hell arrives, quite literally, on their castle doorstep. In alternating points of view, vampire Miranda and angel Zachary navigate a cut-throat eternal aristocracy as they play out a dangerous love story for the ages.

This is the third book I have read from CLS's collection. The first book I read, I borrowed from the school library and was a short story that I gobbled up...absolutely adored her writing and imagination. I found her other books, and was so intrigued and excited by the blurbs that I put them on my Christmas list, and lo behold! I recieved them. I was disappointed.

I read Tantalize first. What a load of rubbish! (I'm not going to go into that now...I chose not to review it because I don't enjoy doing bad reviews...in fact I do try to avoid them)
I have now found time to read and review Eternal, and was disappointed once again.

I wouldn't say it was a terrible story...I just feel that the blurb made it sound way more exciting then it was. It was an interesting read, had enjoyable parts and I finished it but it didn't fit together. The characters weren't developed either and I found them difficult to empathasize with. Similarly the romance between Zachary and Miranda was none existent! Yeah, she wanted him...and I knew he loved her but they never had any intimacy or couple like moments...nor were they given any time to fall in love and explore their relationship either!

It was a fustrating ending and I'm disappointed that I was sucked in by the blurb but then left cold by the story.

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it, yes it was nice to see a female bitch of a vampire...but I feel like CLS tried to pull two sides of paranormal species together, and well, it didn't really work

Saying all this though, I am still very very very tempted to read Blessing, where she pulls the Tantalize crew and the Eternal characters together. But do I risk it and see if I enjoy the ending? Or do I just accept her writing technique and style isn't for me and I shouldn't try again?

If you have any ideas for my little dilemma or any comments to make, let me know!

For additional reviews see The Reading Room http://www.thereadingroom.com/

JB xx

No comments: