Sunday 6 February 2011

I still use both my local library and school library, do you?

I was horrified. Yes horrified to learn yesterday, on the news that over 450 book lending institutes (a library. Why don't they just call it that? Or a Resource Centre) were at threat of being closed! The event, called Save Our Libraries day, included over 80 events at various locations around Britain. Some libraries arranged storytelling sessions. At others, patrons will gather to read and show their support for their local libraries. A rally was planned to take place outside the central library in Bolton. The National Literacy trust has recently released a study which found that children who visit their local libraries are more likely to perform near the top of their class in reading.

I guess the term use us or lose us really comes into practice here. They held a little debate on the news this morning between some random old fogie and a star from Harry Potter and Ugly Betty (who I can't remember the name of!) And I was outraged when the said random old fogie said nobody used the library, most people didn't know where it was so why should he pay (via his taxes) for this decrepid old building filled with books still to exist. How dare he. He doesn't go to a school but his taxes still pay for that?!

I still use my local libraries. In fact I have so many library cards for different libraries all around my local area that I take them all with me when I need to go because I can't remember which belongs to what library! I wish I had been able to join in with some of these protests to save libraries!

Without my library I never would have been able to read as much as I did. We weren't made of money and my thirst for books probably wasn't the easiest to contain. My local library was able to help keep that thirst in check by supplying me everything I begged and pleaded for, and I'm still their most avid reader. (I'm quite smug that all the librarians know me by name and go through the new books we get in, putting some aside so I can get my hands on them first!!)

I understand it's hard running a country, Mr Cameron, but try not to do such a crap job of it? Kay?
Oh and Mr Clegg, grow two balls and start standing up for what you truly believe in!

JB xx
PS. Lots of reviews coming your way today :D

No comments: