Sunday 6 February 2011

Boys Don't Cry Review

Boys Don't Cry - Malorie Blackman

You're waiting for the postman - he's bringing your exam results. University, a career as a journalist... a glittering future lies ahead. But when the doorbell rings, it's your old girlfriend; and she's carrying a baby...your baby.
She's had enough and now it's your turn.
What would you do?

I have always wanted to read her Noughts and Crosses Quadrilogy so when this came out, I snapped it up as quickly as possible. And I was right. She is an amazing writer. It's been a long time since I've laughed out loud, cried my eyes out or felt so in touch with a book. I don't understand what Dante is going through. I've never been a mother, except to my Baby Annabelle as a child, who doesn't complain if you drop her, she giggles. But Malorie's writing, filled me with empathy for Dante, his brother Adam (who's issue I can understand, because my friend is the same) and their father.

I cried, laughed and simpered along with baby Emma, Dante, Adam and their Dad as they struggled to accomodate a little baby girl. She has them all wrapped around her little finger, and they fight against their own issues while all living under the same roof. A family goes from avoiding each others gaze, to pulling together and discovering each other again. All for this little baby.

I really couldn't put it down. I didn't want to. It was such an interesting and though-provoking read. Not just about teeange preganancies and unprotected sex with the consquences but homosexuality, family, bereavement, young parenthood, friendships and the attitudes and predjuices people have.

I truly recommend it.

For additional reviews see The Reading Room http://www.thereadingroom.com/

JB xx

No comments: