Wednesday 5 January 2011

Review on The Forbidden Game

I am a huge fan of L.J.Smith anyway (The Vampire Diaries is a definate favourite of mine and I really recommend it!) so when I found two (technically six) more books by her, I couldn't wait to read them. I wasn't disappionted.

Mystery, Danger, Seduction...
When Jenny buys a game for her boyfriend, Tom, she finds herself inexplicably drawn to the guy who sells it to her. There is something mysteriously alluring about Julian's pale eyes and bleached-blonde hair. And when he places the Game into her hands, she knows their connection is something much deeper.

But as Jenny and her friends begin to play the game, an evening of friendship and fun quickly turns into a might of terror and obsessive love. Because the Game isn't just a game - it's their new reality, where Julian reigns as the Prince of the Shadows.

One by one Jenny and her friends must confront their deepest fears to try and win the game. Because to lose the Game is to lose their lives. And that is only the beginning...

This is three books in one. The Hunter, The Chase and The Kill.

In The Hunter, the Game is introduced and played, thrilling and terror around every corner (and over every page) with this fast paced story. There are huge twists that you don't see coming until they are upon you and then it ends, fairly happily. It is a great piece of writing, but I am already a fan of L.J.Smih so maybe I aren't the best judge!

The second book, The Chase, then picks up where The Hunter left off, and soon the group are back into another game as Jenny battles Julian's obsession and the knowledge that she does feel something for him too. To me, this book felt like L.J.Smith had written it hastily to keep the fans occupied while she wrote the final book because she feared they couldn't wait that long.....but it was still enjoyable and enthralling.

The third and final book, The Kill, is the best out of the trilogy in my opinion. The group are reunited, but sucked into yet ANOTHER game of Julian's, but this time there is more at stake. It is creepy and thrilling, you love Julian but hate him and all the other supporting charactors are amazing and very real! Jenny has become the lovable main charactor, you have journeyed with her, feel her pain and torment about Julian while she tries to keep a grip on the person she wants to be during the trying games. The twist is so big that my heart nearly stopped beating when I read it, fairly near the end and I couldn't believe it. It was an amazing story and I hope you enjoy it just as much as I did :-)

JB xxx

No comments: