Friday 23 September 2011

She knows what it's like to die....

...and now death wants her back.

BR - Abandon by Meg Cabot


Well, when I recieved this little gem in the post I was exstatic! Meg is a wonderful author, her books and I have grown up together! So she springs a beauty out of her magic computer, a paranormal romance, that isn't like any other paranormal romances I've ever read....infact it's so good as soon as I finished it, I pushed it right into the top ten favourite books! Here's the synopsis/blurb:

Pierce knows what it's like to die.
Last year she flatlined following an accident
During that time, Pierce saw a dark world and met a mysterious, irresistable boy,
Now that boy, John Hayden, has turned up at school. Everytime she sees him Pierce finds herself in terrible danger. Yet she's still drawn to him.
John wants to take her back to the place she fears the most: The Underworld
The question is, why?

Now if that didn't make you squee in lust then I don't know what will!!

At first, the book is wonderfully confusing. Nothing is explained...and at first this is a delicious torture, because you keep turning the pages, desperate to find out who the boy is, how she died, why she's biking around a cemetary and yelling at random hot boys etc. It is sweet torture...
At first I thought that it lasted far to long and it might have discouraged some readers from continuing because they would get fustrated because nothing was making sense, but then I changed my mind and realised that the fustration was what kept most readers involved and turning the pages, and that Meg had dragged it out for just the right amount of time and actually got it spot on!

Then the story itself, a lovely mix of paranormal, romance, and even a teensy bit of Greek mythology was enough to set my book lust into overdrive! I was addicted...especially when the heroine was with our scrummy lead male character. I actually got butterflies of longing in my stomach haha! It was absolutely deliciously perfect, and how she got that wonderful story idea is beyond me, but then again she's always thought of wonderfully different stories!

The characters were deep, and realistic. John Hayden had me at his introduction. Bad boy, that you know in your heart is really a good boy, he was just injured by his life, and the world seem to scorn him, which causes a little attitude problem...but anyway I'll gush about him in the MBB Meme haha! Pierce was a wonderful heroine. Strong, but with obvious vulnerability. She was a little bit broken inside, just like everyone. She was very easy to relate to and I often found myself wishing I was a little more like her! The female friend, probably in the next two books of the trilogy going to become the female best friend and sidekick, Kayla was absolutely hilarious! She had a don't care attitude, a real hatred of the world, but again, an obvious vulnerability. I often found myself laughing aloud at her witty remarks or sarcastic quips! And then there's the second soon to be sidekick (I presume) Pierce's cousin, Alex. He has obvious issues with the world, and is a little bit more bad attitude then the others. He really is broken inside and he became to feel like my little brother, and I wanted to protect him and look after him! The other supporting characters are along the same lines, very relatable and very real. I enjoyed them so much, I felt part of the family!

So all in all it was an absolutely bloody fantastic book. And I'll be posting a MBB Meme, for a certain Mr John Hayden tomorrow, so keep your eyes peeled, for another fittie fest!
Seriously, go out and buy the book or I swear I will hunt you down and make you memorise the whole thing and then eat it!
LOTS OF LOVE GUYS!
JB xxx

No comments: